Sunday, March 13, 2005

Dumbest Thing I've Read in a Long Time

Perhaps this isn't so very unusual, but the response to it has me thinking. Several weeks ago in a city near here some idiot stalked and killed his estranged wife and her female friend in front of their three children. He followed them in their SUV, forced their vehicle to the side of the road, opened the door and shot his wife in the back as she attempted to run away. And then he went back and shot her friend, for good measure, I suppose. Fortunately for society, the man soon thereafter died when he crashed his own SUV while attempting to flee. Two innocent women dead and three children scarred for life.

Then yesterday I read in the opinion column of our local newspaper that it was all the government's fault for not allowing the wife to carry a concealed weapon in order to protect herself. Now the issue here wasn't that she'd applied for a concealed carry permit and been turned down (she had not), but that, I suppose, it's okay for a mother of three to carry a loaded firearm in her car with three small children. In fact, the writer went to far as to condemn the government for not allowing ALL adults to carry concealed weapons. Silly me, I thought the problem here was that THE HUSBAND DID HAVE A GUN, NOT THAT THE WIFE DIDN'T. After all, he's the one who actually did the deed.

Am I off base here?

No comments: